Equitable Distribution in Divorce Cases
Our Trusted Sarasota Attorney Can Help Protect Your Assets
You can take precautionary steps to help see to it that your rights are protected and that you obtain what you rightfully deserve by hiring our Venice equitable distribution lawyer. Our firm can guide you throughout the whole process and answer any of your questions and concerns.
Is Florida an Equitable Distribution State?
Florida is an equitable distribution state. This means that courts divide a couple's marital property in a way that is fair to both parties. Unlike its name suggests, this doesn't mean the division will be equal.
How are assets divided in Florida?
While there is no way of accurately predicting how a court will divide property, a court first divides your assets into two categories: marital and separate property.
- Marital property: includes any assets, such as real estate and vehicles, that were obtained during the marriage.
- Separate property: applies to any assets that were obtained before marriage and can include assets that were given by a third party, such as an inheritance.
- When dividing property, a court will take the following factors into consideration:
- Debts incurred during the marriage
- Duration of the marriage
- Intentional waste or destruction of material assets
- Economic situation of each spouse
- Who will be living in the marital home after the divorce
Contact Boeller Law, P.A. in Sarasota, FL Today
Our firm stands apart because we offer all of our clients high-quality family law representation that is truly unique. Our clients rely on our attorney's mental health counseling background and sharp litigation skills to provide clients with the compassionate and results-driven representation they need. With our help and careful guidance, our clients feel less overwhelmed and daunted by the divorce process.
If you are concerned about how your assets will be divided during your divorce, do not hesitate to contact our Sarasota attorney!
Exceptional Track Record of Success
Personalized & Highly Effective Legal Solutions
Extensively Experienced Legal Team
Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator